Back to homepage Newfane Elementary School Telephone Directory events calendar Newfane Business Association Meeting schedules Board of Selectmen

NEWFANE SELECTBOARD
MINUTES
SEPTEMBER 24, 2008
NEWFANE TOWN OFFICE

PRESENT:
Selectboard: Joe Mandell, Guy Wachtel, Gary Katz, Jeff Gouger, Piet van Loon
Also Present: Ed Druke, Phyllis Mandell, David Cotton, John Mariano, Edwin Gray, Marc Gray, Virginia Grabowski, Myra Fassler, Steve Levine, Marcia Hylan, Gunther Garbe.

1. CALL TO ORDER

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by Gary Katz, Chair.

Gunther asked the board for approval of the purchase of 25 copies of the recently adopted Zoning Bylaw. Motion was made by Joe Mandell to purchase 25 copies of the Zoning Bylaw at C&S Print Shop. The motion was seconded by Jeff Gouger. The vote was unanimous.

Gary noted that Mike Obuchowski got back to the board in response to the letters sent out regarding the bridge problems. The consensus of the board was that it was okay for Shannon to draft a thank you note to Mike Obuchowski for Gary’s signature.

Piet van Loon asked if the Zoning Bylaw is on the website. Shannon will contact Bahman to find out what needs to be done to get it on the website.

A portion of the Williamsville Hall Committee was present to discuss with the board the role and responsibility of the Hall Committee, as well as a charge for the Committee. Piet drafted a document for the Committee and the Board’s review.

The consensus of both the Hall Committee and the Board was that this meeting would be for the purpose of discussing only the Williamsville Hall Committee, and not the other related issues.

Discussion ensued regarding Piet’s draft.

On the 4th paragraph of Page 1, it was noted that there was already a fund, but it wasn’t known what the amount was, and had left that blank.

Jeff Gouger asked for clarification on whether Shannon would still be taking reservations and dealing with the funds. It was the consensus of both the board and the committee that this would remain the case.

2nd Paragraph on the next page, to the Committee, seems restrictive, like the Committee can’t really do anything. Discussion ensued regarding an emergency situation. In the past, if an emergency occurred, the plan was for the Selectboard to hold an emergency meeting.

In an emergency situation, should be able to call someone (a contractor, etc.) to come, and at the same time, contact the Chair of the board, and not going any further without Selectboard approval.

The board asked the Williamsville Hall Committee to give recommendations for emergency contacts should be for various situations, and give them to the board and hopefully the board would approve them.

The first charge given to the committee by the board was to think through potential emergency service situations that might come up, and to come back to the board with their recommendations, with the proviso that the list of numbers be placed in plain sight in the Williamsville Hall. Also a list should be given to the board or to Shannon. This charge shouls include a proposal for how people in the general public should proceed if there is an emergency, when there is not a member of the Committee present. The list should be posted near the entrance, and specific instructions near each potential item, and also in general procedures for emergencies.

A time line for coming back to the board with a proposal was discussed. It was decided that members of the board and the committee should take Piet’s draft home, read it, mark it up and come back to another meeting ready to create a final document. It was decided to work towards having something to give the two members of the board that will attend the Committee meeting on the 7th.

It was noted that the lift inspection needs to be done. Shannon will contact the lift inspector.

FOURTH PARAGRAPH: Rules of Procedure, for the Williamsville Hall Committee, were discussed. Discussion ensued regarding the number of Committee members, what constitutes a quorum, and other rolls of Committee members.

OTHER BUSINESS

Piet mentioned that he looked at the Fire Marshall’s report and prioritized some of the projects that need to be done. Piet would like to share with the Committee.

Guy wanted to recap this afternoon’s activities, and wanted to make sure they go over the minutes carefully, in case it ends up in litigation. Steve and Sally from Vermont Local Roads will try to have their suggestions to the board by the end of next week. They believe the drainage issues are long term drainage issues, and not something that happened recently.
Gunther noted that the Planning Commission as of March will have one member.

Questions regarding the Town Clerk’s phone responsibilities. Many townspeople have called, but not received an answer, nor a machine. It was noted that the problem has been addressed, and an automated system will direct the phone calls in the future.

15. ADJOURNMENT

A motion was made by Joe Mandell and seconded by Guy Wachtel to adjourn at 7:30 p.m.
The vote was unanimous.

Respectfully Submitted,
Shannon Meckle

Posted: Town Clerk's Office, Newfane Store, W.W. Building Supply,
S. Newfane/Williamsville Post Office and the South Newfane General Store & Deli. www.newfanevt.com (after approval)

Back to top


back to homepage



Town Offices:
Route 30, P.O. Box 36, Newfane VT 05345, Tel. (802) 365-7772

Please send all comments, suggestions and questions to info@newfanevt.com